Many use this residency as a bridge to move to the United States

The law firm Caporaso & Partners can help you obtain different types of visas in Mexico. Contact us and we will guide you through this process.

The Mexican Immigration Law has been in effect since 2011. Mexican law states that a foreigner can have the status of visitor, temporary or permanent resident.

The status of visitor with remunerated activity is a temporary permit, with a maximum validity of 180 days. It is only granted to foreigners who have a contract with a Mexican company. Work permits are issued exclusively by the National Immigration Institute (INM).

Caporaso & Partners also provides assistance to those who enter as visitors, with non-remunerated activity. This document also has a maximum validity of 180 days. It is issued by the authorities to foreigners who come to Mexico to offer technical assistance with a salary that is fully covered by the foreign employer. In this case, the family members of such person may also apply for this type of permit.

How to obtain permanent residency in Mexico

One of the most requested options is the temporary residence with a work permit. It is granted to foreigners who have a job offer in Mexico and who receive their salary there. The document is valid for one year, but can be extended up to four years.

Temporary residence, without a work permit, is granted to foreigners whose salary is paid entirely by a company located outside of Mexico. This document is also valid for 12 months and can be extended for four years.

To obtain permanent residency it is necessary to meet one of three requirements: foreigners who entered the country as refugees or who have political asylum. It is also granted to those who want to preserve the family unit. If your parents, spouse or children are Mexican, you may apply.

Finally, those who have been temporary residents in Mexico for four years can also apply for permanent residency.

Permanent residency in Mexico allows you to engage in all types of remunerated activities. In addition, you can study in public and private educational institutions


10 Minutes, 20 Minutes, 30 Minutes